Yes, you can enjoy your fried food as a Vegan, having your style KFC foods without harming any chickens.
Check out this delicious recipe:
Kentucky Fried Jackfruit
- 2 14 oz. Cans Jackfruit in Brine (or better yet, water if you can find it)
FOR THE VEGAN BUTTERMILK MIXTURE:
- 1 c Almond Milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar let sit for 5 minutes
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce OPTIONAL
FOR THE BATTER:
- 3/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 c Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Your favorite SALT-FREE seasoning blend (if you are using Jackfruit in WATER, feel free to use Season Salt)
- Any oil suitable for frying at high temperatures
FOR THE VEGAN HONEE-MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/2 c Vegan Mayonnaise or more to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Yellow Mustard or more to taste
- 2 tbsp Agave Nectar or more to taste
TO PREPARE THE JACKFRUIT:
Drain and rinse the jackfruit pieces taking care not to break them up.
TO PREPARE THE VEGAN BUTTERMILK MIXTURE:
Combine 1 cup of almond milk with 1-1/2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add the jackfruit pieces. Set aside.
TO MAKE THE BATTER:
Whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
TO MAKE THE VEGAN HONEE MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE:
Whisk together the ingredients and set aside.
Heat oil over medium-high heat. Test with a pinch of flour and if it sizzles, it’s ready. Food will absorb more oil if it is too cool. Too hot and it will scorch.
Take a few pieces at a time from the buttermilk mixture and drop in the flour. Coat completely. Quickly coat in the buttermilk again and thoroughly coat in the flour mixture.
Gently place into the oil, toss occasionally and remove with a strainer when golden brown to paper towels to drain any excess oil.