How sweet is being a Vegan, how about some tasty doughnuts?
for 12 doughnuts
- 50 g (¼ cup) vegan margarine
- 120 mL (½ cup) soy milk
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus extra for frying
- 250 g (2 cups) plain flour
- 100 g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Gently melt the butter over a low-medium heat. Add milk and 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix together.
- Once combined, take off the heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, half of the sugar, baking powder and salt with a fork.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the butter mixture. Combine gradually until a thick dough forms.
- Using your hands, roll dough into little flat balls and with your thumb, press a hole in the center of each doughnut. (You may need to flour your hands for this part to avoid getting sticky!)
- Heat up oil in a pan. To know when it’s hot enough, fry a little bit of bread in the oil. If it goes brown and floats to the top, in 45-50 seconds the oil will be ready!
- Gently lay the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the doughnuts onto some tissue paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Roll the doughnut into a bowl of the remaining half of sugar.