Veganism and cakes you might think as being a myth, well you would be very wrong.
Us Vegans can have our tasty cakes, doughnuts, and everything nice without it being dairy.
Check out this tasty delight.
For the Vanilla Cake
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp (10ml) Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
For The Vanilla Frosting
- 3 and 3/4 cups (450g) Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 4 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla, olive oil and vinegar and whisk it in.
- Grease two 7 inch round cake tins with coconut oil and cut parchment paper into circles to fit the bottoms and then divide the mixture evenly between them.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using a toothpick, insert into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean then your cake is done.
- Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla and soy milk.
- Beginning on low speed, mix with an electric mixer, slowly increasing speed until it is smooth and creamy.
- If your frosting is a little thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s a little thick, add more soy milk. The consistency must be thick enough that it doesn’t slide off the cake, but thin enough to be spreadable.
- When your cake is completely cool, add frosting to the top of one of the layers.
- Add the second layer on top and frost it completely, using a knife to carefully frost the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries and serve right away.
- If you’re not serving right away, then omit the strawberries or serve them on a plate alongside the cake, so it doesn’t get soggy.